Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Need to apologize

Hi, I need to apologize! As I read over my posts I realized that I was dwelling on the past. I named this blog Living After DV to talk about what life has been like now that I am "DV Free" as I like to call it! lol The last incident was 4 years ago, August, 2007 and I cannot begin to describe the joyful moments my children and I have experienced since then! A police officer that evening gave me information for a program called "PALS" conducted by The Center for Family Services in Camden. PALS is an acronym for "Peace: A Learned Solution." It was the first time I had ever heard of this program. I am grateful that the police officer had the insight and knowledge about the cycle of domestic violence and offered me this valuable information.

My children and I attended 6 months of twice weekly meetings, broken up into various age groups. I had never realized how far reaching the pain of DV truly reached! We were not so alone! There were families there just like us; emotionally scarred, physically bruised and broken, shocked into reality by the anger and violence of another. HOW WONDERFUL!! I LOVE PALS! They helped me to understand so much! I know it was information I had heard before over the years, in the hospital, at the police station, by friends, and family but now I was READY to hear it and LEARN from it! It is almost like an addict reaching bottom. You have to be ready to leave, ready to change, ready to survive!

2 comments:

  1. So in reading your post, I just felt a sense of pride for you. I can tell how proud you ar e of yourself and how happy you are now that you are out of your situation. I dont feel that you are dwelling on the past in your previous post. Your past is what made you who you are. Without that background, your dv case or blog would be just 1 in a crowd. Stay happy and be proud. I look foward to following your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to apologize. Releasing deep dark secrets is helpful to you and others who have not broken free. It also touches hearts and helps us all understand more about what it is like to survive the horrors of domestic violence. My best friend in Belize founded an organization called Mary Open Doors to help women and families, especially those suffering from domestic violence. She tells her story and about her recovery in this short video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KScfFcdxmng

    ReplyDelete